It’s officially August, which means that there’s not even two months left until I leave for my second round as a Teaching Assistant in France. Where did the time go? As excited as I am to be back in France, this quarter-life-crisis train that I’ve been on for the past several months is still chuggin’ along, so I thought I could use some accountability in my life. What a better way to do that than by putting my goals for the year on display for the world to see? So, here we are.
- Explore different parts of Alsace.
- This is my second year in the same city, and I am positive that I have not seen all there is to offer. And since my school placement is waaaaaay up there in the northeastern part of Alsace (literally, the eastern-most corner of France), why not start there?
- Visit more of France.
- One of my regrets from last year is not visiting enough French cities, so this year we’re going to remedy that. The first two cities on my list will include Lyon and Marseille.
- Take the DALF OR TCF.
- Honestly, I haven’t decided which one. Either way, I need to get my “official” level of French if I want to apply to grad school, which brings me to my next goal.
- Figure out a non-TAPIF plan for next year.
- I love the TAPIF program, I really do. But I can’t do it a third year, even if they let me. Avenues I’d like to pursue are getting a Lectrice position or getting into grad school in France. Failing both of those, I’d have to go home, regroup, and start working and saving money for Plan C, which honestly, is A Big Fat Nothing at the moment.
- Live with roommates and/or speak more French.
- I lived alone last year, which made it extremely easy to stick to my Anglophone bubble. Between that, and the fact that I’m absolutely terrible at meeting new people, I need to do better this year.
Bonus, non-TAPIF-related goal: Never have to work in a restaurant again. Please, God, I am so. Incredibly. Tired. Of working in restaurants.
So, there we are. Five (and one bonus) goals for next year. What do you think? Do you have any similar goals for yourself? Let me know!