Anyone who knows me personally knows that I am an incredibly indecisive person. Seriously, putting a restaurant menu in front of me is just asking for trouble. I’m that person. However, that never used to follow me into my big life decisions. I was always very clear and sure about my plans and ambitions for the future. Now, however, I’m not so sure. See, I have so many options floating around my head, that I don’t know where to start or what to do for next year. And soon, I will have to make that decision for various reasons.
Here are my options.
- Get a teaching job in the United States, live there, and settle down there. And while that sounds nice, the part of me that wants to live abroad feels like I would always still want to do so, or wonder what it would have been like.
- Get my MA in TESOL so I can continue to teach abroad, no matter what the country. Here is the problem here though: According to my research, you need an MA TESOL from an anglophone country for it to be taken seriously. And if I do it in America, grad school is incredibly expensive, and I most likely would not be able to afford to go full time. This means that I will be in school for a long time. And by the time I am finished, I may already be too settled down to realistically go anywhere. The other option if I go this route is to go somewhere in the UK. But let’s face it- isn’t grad school in the UK just as expensive for Americans? How would I afford that? Could I afford that? I know people must do it, but I just don’t know.
- Try to get a job as a lectrice at a French university for next year. This also sounds nice, but it is not likely. Lecteur positions over the years from what I have heard have gotten more and more competitive, and I don’t know if I can rely on getting a job doing this.
- Go to grad school in France/Europe. This is an option I could realistically do, but here is my problem: What do I study? Fields to consider are International Education, Culture studies/intercultural communication, etc, but i just don’t know.
- Renew TAPIF. This is a fall back plan provided my schools give me good reviews. Honestly, I would prefer to have another plan work out, but alas.
These are all of the thoughts going around my head, so I’ll turn any readers. Do you have any experience in any of these things. Any advice? Are you just as lost as I am? Let me know.